Relief organization acts as the support system for poor families. NGO is taking several steps in improving the mental and physical health of poor people. For a healthy life, good health is very important. If we talk about our pandemic, it must take and devastate lives. But it also taught a lesson to take care of mental and physical health. Because of Covid now people are more concerned for their health and good immunity. They are now using safety measures like wearing masks, sanitizing, and washing hands. So, all these activities show that now people are more concerned about their health. People are now becoming more fitness freaks than earlier.
Concerning this Relief Organization is now conducting camps at several locations. In the camps we aware people of slums about the benefits of being healthy and make them learn Yoga. Yoga is an old practice that helps in keeping your body and mind peaceful. Along with the practice, we provide them with nutritious food that gives them energy. It is necessary to take care of every individual in our society. Especially the poor people who cannot take care of themselves. Camping at different locations, volunteers meets many people.
During Covid like daily volunteers were distributing food by following the safety measures. There we met a person who fought with Covid very well and is now making people aware to take care of their health. We were happy that now people are taking care of their health.
Healthy Habits- Disease Prevention
Healthy habits prevent diseases and infections in our bodies. Relief organizations learn, teach and practice healthy habits for people in slums.
Some ways by which you can prevent yourself from diseases: –
- Prepare food safely
Raw fruits and vegetables brought from the market contain germs. Therefore, it should wash first before cooking or eating. Not only while cooking you should follow precautions, but also while storing it. The utensils and refrigerators should be clean. But when we visit slums, we request people to keep their surroundings neat and clean.
- Wash Hands Often
During Covid, the first thing that contributed to saving our lives is proper hand washing. Relief Organization distributed safety kits that contain masks, sanitizers, and hand washes.
When to Wash Your Hands
Make sure to clean your hands before and after:
- Using the bathroom or changing diapers
- Eating food
- Cooking or serving food
- Treating a cut or wound of own or others
- Contact a sick person
- Putting on and removing protective equipment like a face mask
Clean your hands after these actions:
- Coughing, sneezing or blowing your nose
- Touching another person’s hands or touching an animal or pet
- Handling garbage
- Touching frequently touched areas (doorknobs) or contaminated items (dirty laundry or dishes).
How to Wash Hands with Soap and Water
- Wet hands and apply soap.
- Rub hands for at least 20 seconds. Scrub all surfaces.
- Rinse hands.
- Dry hands with a clean cloth or paper towel. If in a public place, use a paper towel to turn off the faucet. Then, throw it in the trash.
- When helping a child, wash their hands first, and then your own.
How to Clean Hands with Hand Sanitizer
- Use hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available and if your hands do not look dirty. To be effective, hand sanitizer must have at least 60% alcohol content.
- Apply hand sanitizer to both hands.
- Rub hands covering all surfaces until dry. If your hands dry before 10 seconds you did not use enough. Apply more and repeat.
- Although not as effective as washing one’s hands with soap and water or using hand sanitizer. Pre-moistened cleansing Towelettes with at least 60% alcohol content can be an alternative.
These are all the lessons that Relief Organization explains to people in slums.
- Disinfect and clean, frequent and commonly used surfaces
When you have kids at home cleaning and sanitizing your surface is most important. Most of the kids roll, play, eat and do their almost activities sitting on the floor. And if floors are not clean and sanitized, they may fall sick. Especially, when you have an ill person at your home, you should be careful about cleanliness.
Cough and sneeze into a tissue and your sleeves
Before Covid also, this is in trend to use a tissue or a handkerchief while sneezing and coughing. If you are sick and you cough and sneeze in front of a healthy person, he/she will also get infected. Sneezing and coughing contain germs of your infection, which will infect others. That is why using tissues and your sleeve is recommended during illness.
- Do not share your items
While you are ill do not try to help others by giving your items. Items like toothbrushes, razors, and towels of an infected person should not use by others. You have seen that doctors use the injections for a single time to stop infection transfer. During Covid WHO advised that people use masks and gloves a single time.
- Get Vaccinated
After Covid, Government launched a vaccination program for free. This will help the individuals in protecting and being immune from COVID. This is free so that every individual poor or rich get immune. But, still many people in slums are not fully vaccinated. Relief Organization urges every citizen to take the vaccination and protect themselves.
Avoid touching your pets
Pets roam around the whole house and even outside and carry germs with them. In that case, if you touch them and forget to wash and sanitize yourself you may fall sick. That is why always make sure to show your love to pets, but take safety measures too.
- Stay at home when you are sick
It is best to stay at home when you are sick. Staying at home at eating good homemade food will help you in speeding your recovery.
Relief Organization urges people to take care of their health. If you have any suggestions that we missed you can mail us at [email protected]/. To visit our website, log in to https://www.reliefindiatrust.org/. For getting daily updates follow our Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, and Twitter pages.